The Episode In 60 Seconds
Know your competitive landscape
- Keep in mind that most tech products compete on a global scale
- Take a holistic view: the same needs can be met with different approaches. They are still your competitors.
- Be aware when you are switching from up-start to incumbent and when it’s time to scan for acquisition targets yourself.
Why companies acquire other companies
- To create synergies with, expand, improve, etc. their existing business.
- To protect their existing business from competition.
- The latter tends to be a stronger driver than the former.
How to approach competitors
- Approach the CEO, even if it is a much larger company.
- Demonstrate how you will be a threat to their existing business.
- Be aware that your competitor may be facing internal resistance against an approach which was “not invented here”.